The International Permafrost Association is pleased to announce that the 12th International Conference on Permafrost to be held in Lanzhou, China on June 22-26, 2020. The Conference theme is Permafrost environments under persistent warming: Challenges for scientific assessment and engineering practice.
This conference will focus on permafrost changes and the corresponding environmental affects under the climate warming, share experiences in cold regions engineering construction, and exchange the recent acknowledgements in all fields of permafrost research around the world. The conference provides 8 sessions with 25 topics, covering all aspects of permafrost research, for the attendance to show and exchange their research achievements and experiences.
China has constructed the Qinghai-Tibet Railway (QTR), the Qinghai-Kang Expressway, the Qinghai-Tibet Power Transmission Line and the Chaidar-Muli Rail Link in the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau (QTP), and the Russia-China Crude Oil Pipeline in the North-east China. To show these permafrost engineering and relative permafrost environments, six field excursions will be provided after the conference session days. The participants can visit the Third Polar (QTP), the Qilian Mountains in the North-west China, the Ordos Loess Plateau in the North China and Daxing’anling Mountains in the North-east China, where a new field foundation for permafrost research was constructed.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to China in the coming 2020.
- International Permafrost Association
- The Geographical Society of China
- Northwest Institute of Eco-Environment and Resources, CAS
- State Key Laboratory of Frozen Soil Engineering, CAS
- Lanzhou University
- Glaciology and Geocryology Branch of the Geographical Society of China
- Key Laboratory of Roadway Engineering in Cold Regions, First Highway Survey and Design Institute of China Co., Ltd
- Qinghai Provincial Communication Scientific Research Institute
- Chang’an University
- Harbin Institute of Technology
- China University of Mining and Technology
- Northwest Research Institute Co., LTD of China Railway Engineering Corporation
1. Engineering – construction and design
- 1.1 Engineering Properties of Frozen Ground
- 1.2 Frozen Ground Engineering
- 1.3 Permafrost related challenges in the exploration and exploitation of natural resources
- 1.4 Geotechnical problem in infrastructure construction and its countermeasure in seasonally frozen regions
- 1.5 Express highway in permafrost regions
2. Frost heave and thaw subsidence
- 2.1 Thaw subsidence and frost uplift
- 2.2 Advances in measurement and modeling of frozen soil hydraulic and thermal properties: What’s new?
- 2.3 Coupled heat and mass transfer in cold regions
- 2.4 Constitutive Modeling of Frozen Soils
3. Carbon biogeochemistry
- 3.1 Carbon, nitrogen and contaminants under climate pressure: Quantity and fate of permafrost inventories
- 3.2 Permafrost organic matter, nutrients and pollutants and their lateral transport within the Arctic land-ocean-continuum
- 3.3 Molecular Biomarkers in the Polar Regions and Cryosphere
- 4.1 The Arctic land-ocean transition. Permafrost in river delta and shelf regions of the Arctic
- 4.2 Polar Coastlines in Transition: Arctic - Antarctic perspectives
- 4.3 Subsea permafrost dynamics
- 5.1Thermokarst lake dynamics across multiple spatial and temporal scales
- 5.2 Climate Change and Cryosphere Disasters
- 5.3 Aufeis in changing permafrost: research challenges and opportunities
- 5.4 Mountain permafrost and rock glacier hydrology
- 5.5 Using model-data fusion to understand cold regions hydrological and biophysical processes in a changing climate
6. Remote Sensing
- 6.1 Applications of UAV on cold region ecology and environment studies
- 6.2 Remote Sensing of Permafrost Landscape Dynamics
- 7.1 Education and Outreach – and how to train the next generation of interdisciplinary researchers and science leaders to manage permafrost changes
- 8.1 Permafrost and Periglacial Processes: a commemoration of Professor Emeritus Hugh M. French
- 8.2 Ordinary sessions
Registration has started on the March 1, 2019 and will be opened until the conference. An early bird registration rate will be provided. All further information on the registration is available in the conference website.
Application for Free of Registration Fee
For being supportive, ICOP 2020 will provide some possibilities for young researchers who will be free of registration fee.
Qualification for application:
- Undergraduate or graduate student who submitted at least one abstract to ICOP 2020
- Under 35 years old
If you meet the qualification, please download and complete the application form, and feel free to send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for application. The applications will be open until December 31, 2019.
4. Call for Abstract
Potential participants and/or author are quested to submit your abstracts on the conference themes, together with the pre-registration form, by no later than January 15, 2020. A maximum of two abstracts can be submitted as first author. Normally, no more than one of these will be scheduled for oral presentation with the second scheduled as a poster. There will be no limit to the number of submissions as co-author.
The abstract should be written in English and limited to 300-500 words (including the title, authors & affiliations, and keywords). Furthermore, the abstract must be submitted using the template form provided by http://icop2020.csp.escience.cn .
5. Key Dates
|Call for Sessions||Before May 10, 2019|
|Open Online Registration||March 1, 2019|
|Notification of Acceptance/ Mergence of Sessions||Before May 20, 2019|
|Announcement of Final Sessions Online||June 30, 2019|
|Abstract Submission||July 1- January 15, 2020|
|Notification of Acceptance/ Revision Request of Abstract||Before February 15, 2020|
|Submission of Revised Abstract||Before March 15, 2020|
|Early Bird Registration Closed||March 31, 2020|
|Notification to Author about the Format of Presentation||Before March 31, 2020|
|Release of Final Program||April 10, 2020|
|Ⅻ International Conference on Permafrost||June 22-26, 2020|
Address: State Key Laboratory of Frozen Soil Engineering, Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou, P.R. China
You can visit the website of ICOP 2020(http://icop2020.csp.escience.cn) for more details. We look forward to welcoming you to Lanzhou and to ICOP 2020!