With the commercialisation of 5G (fifth generation) wireless communications, the attention of industry and academia has turned towards the next phase of development. 6G is expected to combine human-like intelligence and consciousness with flexible and energy-efficient management of diverse resources.
However, the large network scale of 6G poses unprecedented challenges for energy efficiency. New technologies are required to orchestrate all aspects of a network, e.g., communication and computing, even sensing, control and localisation. Meanwhile, advanced, energy-efficient techniques, such as energy harvesting and backscatter, need to adapt to the new communication and computing architecture.
This special issue will feature submissions on the recent advances and future trends of green communication and computing for 6G. We expect high-quality and original research papers offering emerging theories, promising techniques, potential applications and comprehensive surveys regarding green communication and computing for 6G.
- Advanced network architecture design for resource-efficient 6G networks.
- AI technologies for green communication and computing in 6G.
- Physical layer-enhancement networks to support resource-constrained devices.
- Passive reflecting, communications-aided, green 6G networks, e.g., using backscatter and Intelligent Reflecting Surfaces (IRS).
- QoS/QoE improvements for green 6G networks.
- New energy transfer and harvesting techniques for green 6G
- Smart grid networking protocols and standards
- Cross-layer optimisation for energy-efficient wireless access networks
- Collaborative edge and cloud computing architectures for 6G
- Breakthrough theories, concepts and technologies for green networks
- Self-sustaining networks for 6G
- Submission deadline: 1 October 2021
- First notification: 1 December 2021
- Revised version deadline: 1 February 2022
- Final notification: 15 March 2022
- Publication date: May 2022
- Yan Zhang, University of Oslo, Norway
- Wen Sun, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China
- Pietro Manzoni, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
- Yueyue Dai, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore