Urbanization and population growth are placing significant pressure on transportation systems and urban infrastructure. To manage this pressure, researchers and practitioners are exploring inventive approaches that can increase the efficiency, safety and sustainability of these systems. Among the promising solutions is cyber-physical systems (CPS), which integrate physical and cyber elements to achieve specific functions.
In the context of intelligent transportation and smart cities, CPS can be used to develop intelligent transportation systems and enhance the resilience and sustainability of urban infrastructure. CPS can also facilitate the development of smart cities by enabling the efficient use of resources, reducing energy consumption, and enhancing the quality of life for residents.
The aim of this special issue is to explore the latest research and development of CPS for intelligent transportation and smart cities. Submissions to this special issue should discuss new developments, opportunities, and potential challenges in CPS applications for intelligent transportation and smart cities. We accept original research papers, review papers, or case studies that seek to expand the knowledge of CPS in these areas.
This special issue will feature articles addressing the numerous topics within the scope, including but not limited to:
- CPS-based approaches for intelligent transportation planning and management
- CPS-enabled transportation systems for autonomous vehicles and connected vehicles
- CPS-based solutions for public transportation and multimodal transportation systems
- CPS-enabled environmental monitoring and air quality management in smart cities
- Use of CPS for energy-efficient buildings and infrastructure in smart cities
- Integration of CPS with Internet of Things (IoT) and big data analytics for transportation and smart city applications
- CPS-based solutions for emergency management and disaster response in smart cities
- CPS-enabled smart grid solutions for transportation electrification and energy management in smart cities
- Human-centric design and user experience considerations in the development of CPS for intelligent transportation and smart cities
- Ethical and societal implications of the deployment of CPS in transportation systems and smart cities.
- Submission deadline: 30 November 2023
- First notification: 30 January 2024
- Revised version deadline: 15 March 2024
- Final notification: 30 April 2024
- Publication date: 30 June 2024