The 3rd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2019 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of the Silk Road
Published 23 May, 2019
The 3rd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress
& 2019 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of the Silk Road
13-16 September 2019
(18 July 2019)
The 3rd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2019 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of the Silk Road, will be held at Xi'an, Shaanxi Province, China from September 13 to September 16, 2019 (Friday-Monday). Interested scholars and graduate students from China and overseas are welcome to join! Key information is as follows:
Sharing Opportunities for Development • Promoting Health for the Globe
- Global Health Institute, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- School of Public Health, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Xi`an Jiaotong University Health Science Center
- The Health Sub-Alliance of the University Alliance of the Silk Road
- United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund
- International Chinese Nutrition Young Scholar Network
- China Health Policy and Management Society•Chinese Preventive Medicine Association-Chinese Society on Global Health
- Chinese Nutrition Society
- Integration of Sport and Medicine Innovation Research Center, China Institute of Sport Science
- Behavioral Health Academic Forum
- National Institute for Nutrition and Health, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Center for Global Public Health, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Global Health Journal, Series Journals of People’s Medical Publishing House Co., LTD. •Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Institute of Science & Technology, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- School of Public Policy and Administration, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- The First Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University
- The Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Key Laboratory of Trace Element and Endemic Disease Research, Chinese National Health Commission
- School of International Education, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Institute for Empirical Social Science Research, Xi'an Jiaotong University
- Shaanxi Center for Health Reform and Development Research
- Health Economics Association of Shaanxi Province
- Huawei Technologies Co., LTD.
- Artepharm Co., LTD., China
- JiYang Vision, New Media Platform for Nutrition Education
- Xi'an Yipong Medical Service Group Co., LTD. (Yipong Live)
September 13, 2019 (Friday): Registration
September 14, 2019 (Saturday): Opening Ceremony/Keynote Speech Session/Thematic forums
September 15, 2019 (Sunday): Thematic forums
September 16, 2019 (Monday): Experts Forum/Cooperative Project (by invitation) Discussion/Training Courses
Xi'an Grand Dynasty Culture Hotel
Address: No.172, Lianhu Road, Xi'an, Shaanxi, China
Tel: +86 29 8721 6868
Leaders from the World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Asia-Pacific Clinical Nutrition Society, Chinese Preventive Medicine Association, and many well-known experts and scholars around the globe, university presidents, deans and academics will attend the conference and present their work.
Selected Invited Speakers
A number of experts and leaders from China and abroad will present at the conference, including delegates from the WHO, UNICEF, The National Health Commission of the People’s Republic of China,Chinese Center For Disease Control and Prevention, Asia-Pacific Clinical Nutrition Society, Chinese Preventive Medicine Association, key academic and leaders from universities and hospitals. Brief introductions for some selected invited speakers can be found in Annex 1. More information of the invited speakers will be available in the Conference Manual.
Main Topics and Thematic Forums
The conference will focus on significant global health issues with Keynote Speech Forum, various Thematic Forums and Poster Exhibition for Research Findings. Details of different sessions are as follows:
1. Keynote Speech Forum: Invited senior experts and leaders from national and international organizations will discuss major issues in the field of global health.
2. Nutrition and Health Forum: A number of domestic and international experts will explore the impact of nutrition on health, including the national strategies to dietary structure, adult chronic disease to childhood obesity, universal health promotion to clinical nutritional intervention. This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi'an Jiaotong University, the International Chinese Nutrition Young Scholar Network and the Chinese Nutrition Society.
3. Systems Science, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and mHealth Forum:This forum will bring together internationally renowned leading experts in the field to share and discuss innovative computational and/or data science analytic approaches and their incorporation into biomedical research in China and globally, promote and foster interdisciplinary collaborations across big data scientists and public health scientists, and provide foresight and recommendations for future research and applications.
4. Health Aging and Geriatrics Forum: This forum will invite leading experts to discuss issues in the field of health aging and geriatrics, to face the aging society, especially focus on the hotspots of geriatrics, management of chronic diseases and ways to improve the quality of life of the elderly.
5. Obesity Prevention and Control Forum: Presentation from senior experts in the field will help participants understand cutting-edge research on obesity prevention and control, provide an international exchange platform for researchers in relevant research fields, and provide new cooperation opportunities for obesity reseach, prevention and control work in the future.This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi 'an Jiaotong University and the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF).
6. Dialogue with Top International Journal Editors Forum: The forum will provide a good opportunity for attendees to directly interact with editors from top journals, such as The Lancet Global Health, International Journal of Epidemiology, Social Science & Medicine, Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine, Chinese Journal of Epidemiology. The editors will provide advice and discuss important topics about how to publish in high-impact journals with attendees, and communicate with attendees in the Q&A session.
7. Intelligent Wearable Devices and Sports Health: University-Industry Collaboration Forum: Explores the trend of technological advancement of wearable devices, sports health detection technology and scientific sports solutions; wearable health devices, especially in the application of youth sports training; smart wearable device technology and application. This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi'an Jiaotong University, Huawei Technologies Co., LTD.and the Key Laboratory of Exercise and Physical Fitness, Beijing Sport University, Ministry of Education.
8. Chronic Disease Prevention and Control Forum: Chronic disease is the most significant cause of death in the world and China. During the past two decades, the United Nations has attached great importance to global chronic disease prevention and control. This forum will invite senior experts including senior leaders from WHO to discuss the latest developments in the field of chronic disease prevention and control, provide new ideas and suggestions for the prevention and control of chronic diseases in future, and searching support for future cooperation and development in this field.
9. Youth Committee of the Chinese Preventive Medicine Association-Chinese Society on Global Health Forum
This forum is to exchange the latest international research and practice on global health studies and promote research collaboration. This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi'an Jiaotong University and the Youth Committee of the Chinese Preventive Medicine Association-Chinese Society on Global Health.
10. Top Experts Cross-Border Cooperation Forum: A number of top experts from industry, academia and research fields will exchange ideas, promote the integration of industry, academia and research in the field of health, and will bring fresh energy to boost the development of global health and the Belt and Road project.
11. International Cooperation and Exchange Forum: This forum aims to promote the cooperation and exchange of superior resources among universities and research institutes in the Belt and Road countries and to establish an international cooperation platform to enhance human health on a global scale.
12. Behavioral Health Forum: Promote exchanges and cooperation across medicine, public health, psychology, anthropology, sociology and other disciplines. Make progress on research and teaching in the field of behavioral health around the globe. Demonstrate grant visions and future application of interdisciplinary behavioral health research for participants.
13. International Forum for Artemisinin and Infectious Diseases Prevention and Control: Gathering international renowned experts to review the history of artemisinin discovery and compound research, sharing the successful experience from anti-malaria team of Guangdong Artemisinin which help local people to get rid of the malaria hazard in Southeast Asia, Africa and the South Pacific and the malaria-endemic countries along the Belt and Road. Explore the path of solving malaria problems worldwide with Chinese experience. This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi'an Jiaotong University and Artepharm Co., LTD., China.
14. Deepening Health System Reform, Building and Enjoying: Focus on the difficulties in ‘accessing health services’ and ‘affording health services’. With a key focus on health, this forum will discuss the reform of health system, promote exchanges and collaboration, improve the level of research in health system reform, and strengthen health system reform efficiently to provide health services to all people at a timely manner. It will focus on the realization of the goal of ‘Healthy China’. This forum is co-sponsored by the Global Health Institute of Xi'an Jiaotong University, School of Public Policy and Administration of Xi'an Jiaotong University and Health Economics Association of Shaanxi Province.
15. Environmental Health and Endemic Diseases Forum: Explore the impact of environmental factors on human health; explore trends in environmental health research in China and abroad; explore the future application and cooperation prospects of space technology in the field of environmental health among the Belt and Road countries; discuss about the new possible areas of international cooperation and hotspots in national environmental and endemic disease prevention and control strategies and pathogenesis in the Silk Road region.
16. Young Scholar Forum: Provide an international academic exchange platform for junior- and mid-career scholars to present relevant research findings. The presentations will be selected from the submitted abstracts, excellent presentations will be awarded. Welcome to submit health-related abstracts as soon as possible! Deadline for submission: August 10, 2019! More information is available in the Call for Papers.
17. Poster Exhibition for Research Findings: Provides an international academic exchange platform for young and middle-aged researchers (including graduate students) to present relevant research findings on posters. The posters will be selected from the submitted abstracts. Deadline for submission: August 10, 2019! More information is available in the Call for Papers.
Payment can be directly trasnsfered/deposited to
Account Name: Xi'an Jiaotong University
Bank of Deposit：Huzhu Road Branch, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China（ICBC）of Xi’an
Bank Account: 3700023509088100314
Bank Code: 102791000162
- Please specify “BRC fee +Name”, and send the remittance date and payment confirmation to us via mail. (email@example.com). Payment receipts will be issued at the Registration Desk during the conference.
- After paying the registration fee, please fill out the "2019 BRC Registrant Receipt Form" (please see Appendix 2, the form can also be downloaded from the "Download" section of the conference website http://brh-ghic.xjtu.edu.cn) and send the remittance information to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participants from abroad can register onsite during September 13-16th, 2019, directly at the Registration Desk.
- Transportation, catering and accommodations need to be paid for at your own expense.
- Please reserve the conferece hotel by yourself: Single room (including single Chinese breakfast, 300 yuan/per day); double room (including double Chinese breakfast, 340 yuan/per day). Contacts: Mrs. Yang, Tel:+86-13909287542.
- Welcome all the research and medical service professionals, registered nutritionist, professionals in the disease prevention and control system and graduate students! Attendees will receive continuing education credits recognized by the Chinese Nutrition Society or continuing education credits in the Chinese National Continuing Education Medicine category.
- For more information, please visit the conference website: http://brh-ghic.xjtu.edu.cn.
Call for Abstracts
Experts, scholars and graduate students in relevant fields are welcome to submit abstracts!
1. Who Should Attend?
Academics and students from universities and research institutes, but not limited to the above.
Prevention and control of chronic non-communicable diseases, prevention and control of obesity, nutrition and health, environmental health and endemic diseases, healthy aging and geriatrics, health systems and policies, health ‘big data’, mobile health and systems science, behavioral health, intelligent wearable devices and sports health, etc.
3. Requirements for abstracts
1) The study should not have been already published in journals.
2) Abstracts should be submitted as an email attached word file to, email@example.com. The email title and document title should be named using the “BRC submit + author’s name +affiliation+Theme".
3) Should be written in English and not more than 300 words (the main text); The full text should not more than 500 words, indicating the abstract title and author (his/her name, title, affiliation and e-mail). The text should be written in the format of research purposes, methods, results, conclusions, and keywords. Any conflict of interest must be declared. The content of the manuscript should be scientific, reliable, accurate, and fluent.
4. Important dates
Submission deadline: August 10, 2019.
Notification of acceptance: By late August 2019
5. Review and selection of abstracts
The Academic Committee of the Conference will organize an expert review meeting to review all the abstracts submitted (Abstracts without confirmation of the registration will not be accepted.), selected abstracts will be included in the Abstract Brochure, excellent abstracts will be selected for oral presentations or poster exhibition
Excellent abstracts and presentations will get the “Young Scholar Star Award Certificate” and cash prize.
You are welcome to attend the conference, whether you submit an abstract or not!
The conference invites outstanding domestic and foreign companies to join, and provide support and cooperation in all aspects.
Contact: Dr. Wang. Email：firstname.lastname@example.org; Wechat：MVP21s
Lihua Yan, Tel: +86-29-8265-7395 (office), +86-189-9282-0077 (mobile); Email: email@example.com
Linyun Zhou, Tel: +86-29-8265-7395 (office), +86-182-9246-5185 (mobile); Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health is an essential cornerstone for public well-being and happiness. It is an important symbol of a country's prosperity and social civilization. In recent years, health issues have received remarkable attention worldwide. To promote development and global collaboration in health research, Xi'an Jiaotong University (XJTU) has cooperated with many renowned research institutions in China and abroad. It had successfully hosted the 1st Belt and Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2017 Chinese Preventive Medicine Association-Chinese Society on Global Health Annual Meeting (September 24-27, 2017) and the 2nd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2018 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of Silk Road (November 23-26, 2018), in Xi’an, China. It established the Health Sub-Alliance of the University Alliance of the Silk Road (HSA-UASR) to help solve the public health problems along the Belt and Road countries and other parts of the world.
At the1st Belt and Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2017 Chinese Preventive Medicine Association-Chinese Society on Global Health Annual Meeting, nearly 400 representatives from 26 countries attended the conference, including more than 40 foreign health leaders and experts from 13 countries and regions, such as the United States, Russia Federation, Britain, Japan, Ukraine, Pakistan, Georgia, Armenia and Iran. There were more than 40 international students from 16 countries including Afghanistan, Tanzania, Bangladesh, South Africa, Peru, Sudan, Mauritania, Syria and Dominica. The conference had a total of 17 forums, including three keynote speech forums, ten sub-forums and four forums for young scholars, nearly 90 leaders and experts from the WHO, UNICEF, CCDC, China Institute of Sport Science and other organizations were invited to report. Participants conducted extensive discussions and shared experiences on the issues of global health and future cooperation and development.
At the 2nd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2018 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of the Silk Road from November 23 to 26, 2018, nearly 500 representatives from 29 countries attended the conference, including leaders and experts from the health departments of the United States, Britain, Germany, Japan, Nepal, South Korea and other countries and regions, and there are more than 30 international students from Tanzania, Bangladesh, South Africa, Peru, Nepal, Pakistan and other countries along the “Belt and Road”. The conference set up 21 special forums, including many important topics, from the WHO, UNICEF, Asia-Pacific Clinical Nutrition Society, CCDC, State Sports General Administration, Shaanxi health and Health Committee, the “Belt and Road” national related institutions, Huawei Technologies Co., LTD. Nearly 100 Chinese and foreign experts, such as academics of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, university presidents, hospital presidents, presidents of the Institute. The meeting served as excellent academic exchange platforms for experts in health-related fields at home and abroad.
To further strengthen exchanges and cooperation of health research related colleges and universities along the Belt and Road countries, XJTU Global Health Institute, School of Public Health, Health Science Center and the Health Sub-Alliance of the University Alliance of the Silk Road will jointly hold the 3rd Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress & 2019 Global Health Forum of the University Alliance of the Silk Road from September 13 to 16, 2019. This conference will facilitate the establishment of global health education and scientific research cooperation network and communication platforms for global scholars in health research, and assist the Belt and Road countries to address the major public health issues. We sincerely welcome you to attend this meeting in Xi 'an, a world-renowned historical city and a capital city of 13 Chinese dynasties, to promote the development of global health and contribute to China’s endeavor for building a community of common destiny for human beings!
Introduction of the Organizers
Xi'an Jiaotong University (XJTU) is a key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China and is one of the oldest universities in China. As one of the first universities in China, it was supported by the central government at the seventh and eighth five-year plan, as well as China's “Project 211” and “Project 985” to develop into a world-class university. Currently, XJTU is a comprehensive research university with ten major categories of disciplines: science, engineering, medicine, economics, management, humanities, law, philosophy, education, and art. The university has built a high academic level around science, engineering, medicine, humanities, and social sciences, and has created a wide platform for discipline development.
XJTU Health Science Center
The Health Science Center was formerly known as Xi 'an Medical University. In 2000, Xi 'an Medical University was merged with XJTU and Shaanxi University of Finance and Economics and renamed as XJTU Medicine School. In 2012, it was renamed as the XJTU Health Science Center. It is one of the cradles for training senior medical professionals in Northwest China and the only key medical college directly managed by the Ministry of Health in Southwest China. The Health Science Center has eight schools including School of Basic Medical Sciences, the First Clinical Medical School, the Second Clinical Medical School, School of Dentistry, School of Public Health, School of Pharmacy, School of Forensic Medicine, School of Nursing. It has several research institutes including Global Health Institute, Translational Medicine Institute, Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Biological Evidence Institute, Med-X Institute, Institute of Biological Diagnosis and Treatment. Its health care system includes the First Affiliated Hospital, the Second Affiliated Hospital, the Affiliated Dentistry Hospital, etc.
Global Health Institute, XJTU
The Global Health Institute (GHI) was formally established on September 18, 2016. At present, GHI has five research centers, including Center for Systems Science and Health Big Data, Center for Chronic Diseases Control and Prevention, Center for Infectious Disease Control and Prevention, Center for Endemic Disease, and Center for Aging Health and Geriatrics, and will develop more centers in the future. XJTU established the GHI aimed to help achieve China’s key national development strategies, including China’s National Innovation-driven Development Strategy, “Belt & Road Initiatives”, National Health & Wellness Congress and “Healthy China 2030”. GHI will be part of the efforts in the establishment of the iHarbour-Wisdom Uni-Town and the development of XJTU becoming a world-class university. GHI benefits from the various strengths of XJTU, including such as public health, clinical and basic medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, statistics, bioinformatics, management, humanities, and engineering.
GHI aims to address the major challenges in the global health field, create an international leading global health education scientific research platform, carry out major public health research across the region and across countries, provide scientific basis for global health problem solutions including developing related policies, train health professionals, serve local and national development, and provide strong support for achieving national health development strategies and promoting global health. At present, the research at GHI is funded by domestic and international grants such as those from the UNICEF, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the US Boston-based China Medical Board (CMB), the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology, the Chinese National Health Commission, the Chinese National Natural Science Foundation, the CCDC, Chinese Nutrition Society.
School of Public Health, XJTU
The School of Public Health (SPH) has the public health and preventive medicine first-level disciplines authorized to confer doctor’s and master's degrees, disciplines authorized to confer Master of Public Health (MPH) degree and post-doctoral mobile stations of the first-level discipline. In the country, the first public health masters MPH (1998) and public health doctor DrPH (2011) professional degree training pilot work, rooted in the West to cultivate more than 1,000 graduates in the field of medical and health and disease control. The School has Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Occupational Health and Environmental Health, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, Department of Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health, Department of Health Toxicology and Sanitary Inspection, Institute of Endemic Diseases, Health Reform and Development Research Center of Shaanxi Province, Key Laboratory of Trace Element and Endemic Disease Research of Chinese National Health and Family Planning Commission, Nutrition and Food Safety Research Center of Shaanxi Province, Silk Road Regional Endemic and Population Health Promotion Collaborative Innovation Center of Shaanxi Province, Health Information and Big Data Management, and the Analysis Center. The school lays emphasis on the international frontier of science and technology, focuses on the health of China’s west regions, and concentrates its research areas on maternal and child nutrition and health evaluation, environmental and endemic diseases, infectious disease control and prevention, food quality and safety, child development and the physical and mental health, health policy and medical ethics.Research in the school is funded by the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology, the Chinese National Health Commission, the Chinese National Natural Science Foundation, the UNICEF and the US Boston-based CMB. In the past five years, the research funding has exceeded 60 million yuan, and the research papers have been recognized as "F1000 papers". SPH was awarded two "Claus Schwartz Awards" by the International Association of Bioinorganic Chemists and two first prizes for scientific and technological progress in Shaanxi Province. SPH presided over the revision of a number of national and industry standards such as the Judgment of Kaschin-Beck Disease Efficacy. SPH is the editor of core journals, such as Journal of Xi'an Jiaotong University (Medical Edition), Chinese Medical Ethics, and Foreign Medical and Medical Geography.
The Health Sub-Alliance of the University Alliance of the Silk Road (HSA-UASR)
With the full support of XJTU, the University Alliance of the Silk Road (UASR) was founded on May 22, 2015, an essential action to carry forward the spirit of the Silk Road and promote international collaboration in advanced education and research. HSA-UASR is an open, non-governmental, non-profit, international higher education sub-organization. At present, 151 universities from 38 countries and regions have joined the UASR, covering five continents. To promote the spirit of the Silk Road, which is "peaceful cooperation, openness and tolerance, mutual learning, mutual benefit and win-win". It aims to promote the "opening of the Silk Road Academic Belt" and promote the “opening of the region Development" as the theme. The purpose is to promote exchange and cooperation among universities and countries along the “New Silk Road Economic Belt” in inter-school exchanges, personnel training, scientific research cooperation, cultural communication, policy research, and medical services. It aims to strength the collaboration in the field of education and technology, create an open and inclusive collaboration platform for advanced education, and cultivate talents with global vision, ability of international cooperation and spirit of innovation.
HSA-UASR was formally established in September 2017 during The 1st Belt & Road Initiative Global Health International Congress held in Xi’an, led by the XJTU GHI under the framework of UASR. HSA-UASR is an open, non-governmental, non-profit, international higher education sub-organization, formed by universities and schools in health fields, on an equal and voluntary basis. HSA-UASR is committed to facilitate global integration and sharing of science and education resources of the health-related universities and schools, conduct health research cooperation network and establish health data sharing platform for multidisciplinary and high-level academic exchanges and scientific research, and cultivate health professionals. Its ultimate goal is to improve health and the well-being of people on a global scale. At present, there are 13 universities at home and abroad joining the HSA-UASR, including: University of Texas at Austin; University of Liverpool; Tavlida National University; Rawalpindi Medical University; Pakistan Health Service Research Institute; Saudi Hale University School of Pharmacy; University of Zaragoza; College of Medicine,
University of Malawi; The Jockey Club School of Public Health and Primary Care Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong; China Medical University; Tianjin Medical University; Dalian Medical University; West China School of Public Health; Sichuan University. In the future, the HAS-UASR will use the Silk Road University Alliance Platform to invite more national health-related institutions along the “Belt and Road” to join and establish long-term cooperation. To conduct research on major public health and health issues across regions and countries, and contribute to the promotion of global healthy development and the building of a community of shared future.
For more information and updates about the conference, please follow the Wechat QR Code of Global Health Institute or log in the congress website: http://brh-ghic.xjtu.edu.cn/index.asp?lg=en
Annex 1: Introduction of some invited experts
Annex 2: 2019 BRC Registration Form