This special issue focuses on the broad theme of cardiovascular health and COVID-19. We are particularly interested in the cardiovascular risks caused by the virus, and possible mitigation strategies to reduce those risks. We welcome high-quality, original research articles, thematic reviews, or opinion/guideline papers from clinical practitioners in cardiovascular and sports medicine, academic researchers, sports trainers and coaches, and public health managers around the globe.
- Cardiovascular risks caused by COVID-19, exacerbated by physical inactivity due to lockdownsand fitness facility closures.
- Cardiovascular impairments caused by “Long COVID” and rehabilitation strategies, including exercise training.
- Guidelines and protocols for a safe return to sports competitions for amateur and professional athletes after recovering from COVID infection.
- Adverse cardiovascular effects of various COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics, e.g.,myocarditis, thrombus formation and other hematologic disorders, cardiac arrhythmia, etc.
- Possible causes of increased incidence of cardiac sudden death in professional athletes during the pandemic.
- Basic and translational research on cardiovascular pathologies associated with viral pathogen infection (including SARS-CoV2 and other respiratory viruses), inflammation, cytokine storm, etc.
- Any physical therapies, exercise programmes, and alternative medical modalities that can mitigate the symptoms, pathological processand clinical outcomes of COVID-19.
- Contemporary issues related to sport and cardiovascular health in the age of COVID-19.
- 1 November 2022
Please read the Guide for Authors before submitting. All articles should be submitted online via the submission system; please contact the Guest Editors with specific inquiries on this special issue. Manuscripts will benefit from rapid peer review and authors whose manuscripts are accepted will receive a full waiver of the open access article publishing charge (APC).
Dr. John Quindry
University of Montana, USA.
Dr. Lei Xi
Virginia Commonwealth University, USA.