Soft food is a category of food products that exhibits broad, yet unique, structural, physical and chemical properties. When ingested in the mouth, the oral behaviour of soft food varies greatly with the addition of saliva and the mechanical involvement of mastication and tongue movement. They cause an alteration in bolus formation, and physical and chemical properties, as well as a first-hand sensory evaluation of released tastants and aromatic compounds.
In recent years, scientific advances relevant to soft foods have increased significantly. In this special issue, we aim to explore cutting-edge studies on the oral stage of soft food processing. We invite submissions of high-quality research and review manuscripts.
These will include, but not be limited to:
- Food-saliva interactions during oral processing
- Rheology/tribology during oral processing
- The texture of soft foods
- Architecture and customisation of foods for specific groups
- Oralprocessing as a precursor for gastro-intestinal (GI) processing/digestion
Submissions due: 30 June 2023
Publication date: September 2023