In 2015, the United Nations member states adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Food security, sustainable agricultural production, nutrition and well-being are SDGs for which scientists in Food and Nutrition Sciences can provide solutions. The large number of global populations suffering from chronic metabolic diseases or malnutrition are actually two sides of the same coin – they are both experiencing problems related to food and nutrition. Large clinical nutrition studies have shown that individuals respond to the same, standardised meal differently based on their genetic settings, such as genomes, and environmental conditions, such as microbiome. This indicates that personalised or precision nutrition is the solution to combatting nutrition-related diseases. However, we also need to take into account the processing of foods to satisfy various needs, such as preservation of nutritional value and enhancement of functions.
This special issue aims to discuss relevant topics of personalised nutrition from human and animal studies to clinical practices, and ultra-processed foods from technology development to functional enhancement. Research articles, reviews and commentaries are all welcome.
Submission deadline: 31 March 2023
Publication date: 30 September 2023
Leading Guest Editors:
- Guoxun Chen, PhD,Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yao (Olive) Li,PhD, Professor, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Huntley College of Agriculture, California State Polytechnic University, USA. Email: email@example.com
- Jinrong Zhou, PhD, Associate Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, USA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zhiping Yu, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, University of North Florida, USA. Email: yu@unfedu
- Chengchu Liu, PhD, Seafood Technology Specialist, University of Maryland Sea GrantExtension Program, Email: email@example.com